Proposal of new requirements for the Web-based signage toward W3C standard

From: Shigeru FUJIMURA <fujimura.shigeru@lab.ntt.co.jp>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 21:35:01 +0900
To: public-websignage@w3.org
Cc: fujimura.shigeru@lab.ntt.co.jp
Dear BG members,

In the Web-based Signage Business Group, I understand that the
architecture and requirements for Web-based signage player have been
discussed. I also understand that discussions about requirements
according to profiles have been deepened. On the other hand, there must
be requirements for expanding a browser to operate terminal software and
hardware.

For example, if more low-level operations on terminals, such as changing
mode from sleep to normal or restarting to recover from troubles,
through browser are capable, I believe it increases the potential of
Web-based signage.

This doesn't correspond hardware requirements and correspond
intermediate range between player and hardware. In addition, security
model for the signage player is quite different from normal browser. So,
taking this viewpoint into account, requirements and functions
especially for web signage are worth discussed in this BG.

We would like to start the discussion with a view to launching working
group and making standards. Would you please join this discussion?

Best regards,
Shigeru

NTT Service Evolution Laboratories
Shigeru Fujimura