SMIL in SVG

On 7 December 2012 12:15, Futomi Hatano <futomi.hatano@newphoria.co.jp> wrote:
> At least, SMIL is realistic. there are some enthusiastic supporters,
> and it has already implemented some web browsers, and we can
> use it (maybe animation only) in HTML through inline SVG now.

I didn't realise one could animate SVGs with SMIL in a Web browser
today until now.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/SVG/SVG_animation_with_SMIL
:)

Still after experimenting with SVG myself, I do find it an unstable
technology especially when it comes to the tooling than say
HTML+JS+CSS. And I'm wondering what is the merit of flashy animations
for simpler use cases based on the fundamentals of discerning
information. If information is buried in an SVG it can be tricky to
get out. e.g. difficult to select text or when text is all too often
converted to paths.

Therefore I do prefer CSS Animations, for animations. However SVG
still is very important in my mind, for map / navigational uses cases,
which a lot of signs in reality are and is mentioned in a tiny sub
point upon http://www.w3.org/community/websignage/wiki/Web-based_Signage_Use_cases_and_Requirements#.5BNeighborhood_map.5D
under a very complex R3 "Communication with a personal device within
proximity" requirement.

When I read through
http://www.w3.org/community/websignage/wiki/Web-based_Signage_Use_cases_and_Requirements
again, IIUC you want to _really_ push the Web, since most requirements
are complex and can't readily be done. That's fine, though I was
probably wrongly hoping to start with the basics here.

Therefore I'm curious if there is a good forum for anyone like me who
is doing Web signage implemented by leading browsers today? Folks who
are working through current issues like the Fullscreen API, responsive
designs & Appcache, and are happy to share?

Kind regards from Singapore,