Re: Draft of Second Screen Presentation Working Group Charter available (was: Heads-Up: Plan for Working Group on Second Screen Presentation)

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 11:02 AM, mark a. foltz <mfoltz@google.com> wrote:

> MarkW,
>
> Lines 234-236 read  "The user agent is responsible for determining which
> secondary displays are compatible with the content that is requested to be
> shown through the API" which I think addresses your first suggestion.

​Pretty much, yes, except in the very narrow sense that my concern is to be
clear that the availability of compatible displays can be discovered by the
web page *before* requesting that content be shown, so as to drive the
showing - or not - of the appropriate UI element.

You could satisfy the text in 234-236 by having the UA return an error when
a page tries to show incompatible content, but this would not be a great
user experience.

Anyway, I can live with the text as it stands for the proposed Charter​

> For the second suggestion, do you see this as something that must be
> addressed in the charter, or can it be addressed through the evolution of
> the API? (My assumption is that once the charter is agreed upon the
> currently proposed API will be re-examined to match the updated scope and
> deliverables.)

​No, that was not a comment against the charter, but just to make it clear
where the existing API proposal is missing a capability needed to address
the first point.

...Mark​