Re: Draft of Second Screen Presentation Working Group Charter available (was: Heads-Up: Plan for Working Group on Second Screen Presentation)

Hi Anssi,

Thank you for drafting the Webscreens WG charter.  I have spoken with
colleagues at Google and we have the following feedback:

(1) The scope of the charter does not specifically mention the following
scenarios:  one page controlling the content on multiple displays, or
multiple pages controlling content on a remote display (possibly across
multiple user agents).  We also want to ensure that the presentation can be
controlled across page navigations in the same UA given some scope (e.g.,
origin scope).  We feel these are necessary to have a usable and complete
specification.

(2) In the two-UA case, the charter hints that the software controlling the
remote screen is capable of displaying arbitrary Web content.  However,
this is not always the case; there are a large number of devices (e.g.,
smart TVs, digital picture frames, set-top boxes) that can display a fixed
set of "apps" or Web media types.  As there are millions of these devices
deployed, we feel the charter should be written so as not leave these out.

(3) We want to ensure that the language does not restrict the method of
screen discovery or control, which could be a variety of implementations,
including the use of cloud services or the use of application specific
screen discovery mechanisms.

(4) The phase 2 scope - the definition of open network protocols for
discovery, control, media streaming - is really an *implementation*
specification and would be better handled in a different forum such as the
IETF.  Although the parties in the WG would likely have a direct interest,
separating the two processes would result in a W3C spec that is focused on
the API and requirements, and a network protocol suite that could
interoperate across software platforms (including native desktop and mobile
apps).  There are prior models for a similar spec process such as WebRTC
and Push API.

I plan to send a pull request with a set of suggested edits based on the
above (after hearing any feedback you might have).

Yours,
Mark

--
http://wiki/Main/OnlyCheckEmailTwiceADay