Re: Filtering out non compatible displays (was: Draft of Second Screen Presentation Working Group Charter available)

On 06 Jun 2014, at 17:30, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 12:13 AM, Kostiainen, Anssi <anssi.kostiainen@intel.com> wrote:
> On 03 Jun 2014, at 18:46, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
>
> > The point is that we should not show the user the "cast/fling/present" icon at all if there are no suitable screens available.
>
> This is a good requirement, but it seems we haven’t yet settled on the approach as there are pros and cons for all the approaches discussed so far.
>
> ​Sure. I'm glad we agree on the requirement. Do we agree that the API as drafted doesn't meet this requirement ? This is the only major problem that I see ​with it.

I think this is something the group needs to iterate on and experiment with more. The input from the group participants who'd like to see this requirement being addressed is critical.

If the group cannot figure out how to solve the requirement the group may need to drop it from the spec or defer the feature for later versions of the spec, but I think that would be premature at this point. I’m optimistic that once we get more concrete feedback e.g. in a form of experimental implementations we will get better understanding of the problem space and are able to make more informed decision on the issue.

MarkW - would you like to own this "Filtering out non compatible displays” issue and drive it forward, propose solutions for the working group to evaluate? I think it would be great to have someone looking at this problem space in more detail. For example, a concrete first step would be to evaluate the existing solutions, and their applicability to the Web.

Thanks,

-Anssi