Re: Call for Consensus (CfC) on Issue 17 of "Region Capture"

I should perhaps amplify my reasoning (since everyone else is)
The presumption of an async API is that it is (relatively) expensive and time to completion is unknown.
Developers will avoid _speculatively_ creating crop targets if they think they are expensive. They definitely won’t create _multiple_
croptargets if the API is async (unless they are _certain_ they will be used).

I’d rather have a situation where a page creates multiple crop targets (i.e. one which crops subtitles and one that does not.)

At in any given capture only one of these targets will be used - which (presumably) is counter to chrome’s current implementation which
seems to allocate a real resource of some sort when ever a region is tagged as a _potential_ source of cropping.

The other area is failure modes - Google’s design gives us 2 places a cropTarget can fail - once when it is minted and once when it is used.
The fallback strategies in the 2 apps are different and _can’t_ easily be co-ordinated.
If cropTarget is sync and produces a token, then it pretty much can’t fail - meaning that all the error handling is in the right place - in the capturing app.

Tim.