Re: Clarifications: Call for adoption - WEBRTC-QUIC

With the current document, I am against adoption.

I am for instance unclear whether the scope is RTC-only (seems to be implied by the current document) or includes client-server as well (seems to be where the document editors want to move IIUIC).

I agree with Roman about having a specific set of requirements. Here is a try at listing some that make sense to me:
- The API should serve both RTC and client-server use cases
- It should be possible to define a mapping of this API to different protocols (QUIC, SCTP, WebSocket)
- The API should take inspiration from the existing data channel API, its level of abstractness and current feature set (multiplex, unreliability…)
- The API should reuse existing web primitives where it makes sense. Using WhatWG streams should in particular be investigated.

While some requirements are not met yet by the current QUIC document, it seems ongoing work will address at least some of these.

The name of the current document (webrtc-quic) is also a potential problem if it tries to specify everything.
I wonder whether the spec work should not be split in more items that could advance at their own pace.
Here is a potential list (each item might not deserve its own spec):
- API definition
- QUIC API specialization
- API mapping to QUIC
- QUIC API for RTC
- QUIC API for client-server
- SCTP API specialization
- API mapping to SCTP
I would think smaller and more focused documents to be easier to adopt by the WG.

Hope this helps,