Re: Getting rid of SDP

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 1:53 PM youenn fablet <yfablet@apple.com> wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2018, at 12:25 PM, Peter Thatcher <pthatcher@google.com> wrote:
>
> Even though you have discussion in the IETF going on at dispatch@ietf.org,
> I think that it's worth having discussion here about the Web API side of
> things.  I think almost your entire proposal could be implemented in
> JS/wasm with the following Web APIs:
>
> - SLICE (what I proposed two virtual interims ago as part of
> https://github.com/w3c/webrtc-ice)
> - QUIC data streams (https://github.com/w3c/webrtc-quic)
> - A low-level audio/video encoder/decoder API (like what I proposed at
> TPAC in 2017)
>

> I like the idea of low level APIs.
> One important missing bit is the ability for web apps to do efficient
> frame processing from getUserMedia/video tracks.
> Moving that forward would be great, the current canvas based approach is
> not ideal.
>
> I do not see very compelling use cases for low-level audio/video
> encoder/decoder API on the other hand.

If you want to send media over QUIC or do your own crypto between encode
and network (perhaps over some low-level RTP transport), then you need
access to media after its encoded and before it's decoded.

> Maybe I should look at what was presented at TPAC but I would tend to put
> it at a much lower priority.

Here's what I presented:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Sg_1TVCcKJvZ8Egz5oa0CP01TC2rNdv9HVu7W38Y4zA/edit#slide=id.g29a8672e18_22_120