Re: What would you like to see in WebRTC next? A low-level API?

Am 24.01.2018 um 00:37 schrieb IƱaki Baz Castillo:
[...]
> just because SDP was designed that way 20 years ago.

These discussion happen because they are necessary. Breaking away from
"0.9" and the legacy API towards the transceiver model was a hard step
but required (alternativlos even in the Merkel sense).
The approach to treat SDP as an "opaque blob" simply did not work. Yes,
that means that there is a lot of stuff in the API that is showing how
SDP O/A works, in particular the transceiver. It also means that there
is no way RTCPeerConnection can get rid of SDP now.

> It's 2018 and people in the rtcweb WG is still discussing (or
> re-defining) how codecs are negotiated and re-negotiated in the SDP
> O/A protocol. Really?

I doubt anyone is excited about this. But having endless discussions
about babies and bathwater doesn't work either. Also this baby is now
4.5 years old and starting to get too heavy to throw out easily.

[...]
> If we really want to make WebRTC useful for developers other than
> browser vendors and C++ experts, we cannot transmit a SDP blob as the
> "minimum irreducible unit for exchanging multimedia information".

Having a committee (consisting mostly of RTC folks) design a Javascript
API is going to be... well, see that chrome devrel tweet ;-)