Re: QUIC use cases

On 1/19/2018 1:47 AM, Bernard Aboba wrote:
> Games developers are obsessed with latency, so RTT reduction is a big
> deal (along with better tools). However they also need control of
> maxRetransmits (often set to zero). Saying that is out of scope for
> QUICv1 elicits puzzled expressions. In fact, the whole idea of version
> negotiation in a transport protocol makes no sense to them (e.g. no
> version negotiation in TCP, SCTP, DCCP, etc.)

Delay reduction is important in games -- but initial setup time is far
less so.  Not of no interest, but rarely if ever an issue for I'd guess
99% of online games.  Only (largely) p2p games that dynamically create
connections in fairly hard realtime (as people move around a larger
universe) would be affected, and that's pretty rare even in
non-browser-based games (I can think of 1). controlling retransmits *is*
very important, as is multiple independent channels with different
characteristics.

    Randell