Re: Towards a new charter for the WebRTC Working Group

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 2:23 PM Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> What are the plans for the protocol pieces for the new items?  I
> haven't seen any plans - or internet-drafts - for those, and the bulk
> of the work for some of these items is protocol work.

What do you mean by "protocol"?  QUIC is the protocol.  Do you mean the
protocol on top of QUIC?  That's defined by the application using the QUIC
streams, not by the W3C or IETF.   The app can do whatever it wants.

> For instance, I
> can understand why the group might choose not to rely on SDP for
> negotiating new features, which leads to some API work, but the bulk
> of the QUIC datachannels work is in defining protocols, not the API.

We provide access to the QUIC protocol from the API.  Everything on top of
that is up to the application.  So there is no protocol to define that the
browser need know about.