Re: Issue 412: Framerate knob for simulcast

From: Bernard Aboba <Bernard.Aboba@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 00:45:14 +0000
To: "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>
How about this?

partial dictionary RTCRtpEncodingParameters {
unsigned long maxFramerate;
};

maxFramerate of type unsigned long
The maximum framerate to use for this encoding.

A remaining question: how is the receiver's maximum framerate determined? This could be codec-specific, because a device might support hardware decoding for one codec, but not another.

Since not all codecs include a max-fr SDP parameter (e.g. VP8 does, but H.264 does not), this value cannot be determined from SDP for all codecs.

Does this imply that we need to add maxFramerate as a generic codec capability in RTCRtpCodecCapability? Today, all we have is mimeType.
Stefhak said:

"The discussion at TPAC concluded that we need a knob to control framerate per stream when simulcast is used."