Re: API for browser to provide TURN servers

From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 00:46:15 +0100
To: public-webrtc@w3.org
Den 08. des. 2015 23:15, skrev Alexandre GOUAILLARD:
> @emil,
>
> yes, it was my understanding that return was the way for enterprise to
> provide **discoverable** turn server, and thus the JS API was something
> else. Lots of time was spend in the discussion to say that this API was
> NOT return, and that return was more like a proxy or a vpn, and dealt
> with by the browser directly, without interaction with the web app.
>
> Now, stefan confirmed that the API to provide ICE servers to the App was
> indeed discussed. We had actually checked the spec before asking, and
> nothing there hint at how this list is populated in the first place. My
> understanding: browser hardcode it. Mathieu understanding: enterprise
> have a way to populate this list. Anybody remembers/knows?

The only context in which those configured-within-the-browser servers
make sense are corporate contexts.

Browsers deployed in corporate contexts (or even browser profiles under
administrated domains) tend to have lots of ways to set things.

See https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/188446?hl=en for one example.