Re: Summary of "What is missing for building real services" thread

From: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 15:33:47 -0800
To: Iņaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net>
Cc: cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org>, Alexey Aylarov <alexey@zingaya.com>, "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>, Tim Panton new <thp@westhawk.co.uk>
On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 3:24 PM, Iņaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net> wrote:
> 2014/1/19 Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>:
>>> I'm not talking about "one library to rule all" but rather a reference
>>> implementation by one of the vendors (I used Google as an example because
>>> their implementation is already up on webrtc.org).
>>
>> That (or the library from Firefox were we to extract it) wouldn't be
>> a "reference implementation" but merely an "implementation"
>
> Something is wrong in WebRTC when most of the non-browser proyects
> (opss, and even other browsers) take the Google code as "reference
> library". If the only way to get real interoperability is by using the
> same code here and there (instead on making implementations based on
> the spec) that says bad things about the whole WebRTC. Having SDP in
> the middle does not help here.

Hmm.... I'm not sure what you mean here. The Firefox implementation
uses VideoEngine and VoiceEngine but has a completely distinct
implementation of SDP processing, networking (ICE, STUN, TURN, etc.)
getUserMedia, and other pieces. The major common code is the
media processing, which doesn't really seem like a commentary on
WebRTC, since you would need that code more or less whatever
design we used for WebRTC. It's more like a commentary on how
difficult it is to do a decent media stack.

With that in mind, it's surprising you would single out SDP here,
since that piece is totally different between Chrome and Firefox.

-Ekr