Re: Summary of "What is missing for building real services" thread

Hi Justin,

This isn't strictly tied to the spec, but I think it makes a lot of
sense to release a Native API at the same time as v1 that implements the
same functionality as the Javascript API.

Browser peers will use the Javascript API while non-browser peers
(mobile native apps, servers and gateways) will use the Native API.
Currently everyone is rolling out their own version and there is a huge
amount of wasted effort reinventing the wheel.

So to reiterate: the purpose of this API isn't code portability, but
rather it is meant to be a reference/sample implementation of the
functionality. Right now some of this functionality resides in Chrome
(sitting above the Native API). Essentially I'm just asking you to move
as much WebRTC-specific functionality out of Chrome and into the Native
API such that (as much as possible) the Javascript API is a thin layer
on top of native code.

Gili