Re: What is missing for building "real" services?

The Web is very page-centric!

This is a problem for any site that wants to maintain some kind of service
while users navigate content, not just for WebRTC.

For example, the BBC had to design their radio
player<http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/>so users could listen while
navigating
bbc.co.uk. They opted for a popup. Window.open() is not so great on mobile
– the BBC approach is to open the radio app when you click on the Listen
link on mobile – but on desktop it's an easy way to provide an independent
context (and UI) for objects to live and die. Forcing windows to 'stay on
top' is pretty hacky and (I think) undesirable in terms of UX.

Of course, lots of popular websites load content dynamically via XHR rather
than using the click-on-a-URL-and-load-a-new-page approach. In this case
it's relatively straightforward to incorporate a video chat component that
'sticks'.

A more old fashioned technique is to use frames, which can work reasonably
well, but come with their own problems. Web apps with background pages
could also solve the problem, but only where available.

All-in-all, I think the answer now is dynamic sites or popups or both.