Re: What is missing for building "real" services?

On 10/01/2014 8:54 PM, Randell Jesup wrote:
> On 1/9/2014 8:03 PM, cowwoc wrote:

>>> There are security issues even for read-only sharing.
>>>
>>> If the application can control an iframe in the shared tab/window,
>>> it could flick up images of private data it normally couldn't access
>>> (even via writing to a canvas) due to cross-origin restrictions.
>>> Data such as bank accounts, private user pages, etc.
>>
>> As I mentioned in a follow-up post, we would not allow cross-origin
>> requests. Any application that enables screen sharing would not be
>> allowed to issue any requests outside of its origin.
>
> Sorry, that's not the problem - it's not that the webrtc app would
> send the request, it's that the page being shared would have on it a
> hidden iframe that would get triggered to flip up the info. That's for
> tab/browser-window sharing; if the shared window was a native app
> window, one assumes that wouldn't be the problem - but sharing a
> browser window/tab is a primary usecase.  If you block that, you can
> support some usecases relatively safely, but users will be
> understandably annoyed/pissed/confused.

 1. It's a start (there are use-cases that don't need any more than this).
 2. If one Chrome tab tries to screen-share another Chrome tab, then
    Chrome should ensure that the Origin of that other tab is the same
    as the application doing the sharing. Where this gets tricky is
    Chrome wanting to screen-share Firefox or vice-versa.

I think it is reasonable limitation to prevent one browser from
screen-sharing another browser (why would you need to?). The only
problem is: how would you detect whether a native application is (or
embeds) a browser? :)

Gili