Re: Why does screen sharing require a browser extension?

On 25/11/2013 3:20 PM, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 25 November 2013 12:13, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:
>> Pick colors which no one is color-blind to.
>> Your friend *saw* the border, he just didn't know what it meant. I am
>> willing to bet that if it pulsed, he'd definitely see it.
>> If you add the alert icon with the tooltip as Java did, there would be no
>> confusion as to the meaning of the border. I've used this feature live and I
>> can tell you it was very easy to understand.
> I'm fairly certain that doesn't work either.  The problem, of which I
> provided a specific example, is something that I will call "chrome
> blindness".  Users don't notice this stuff.  Despite 15+ years of
> training, the lock icon still doesn't work as advertised.

But the border is flashing! :) Anyway, I'd argue an extension is even
worse. You install it once and forget what it is actively recording. It
might not be malicious but you could still mistakenly share some pretty
embarrassing stuff.

>> How does requiring each app to publish a separate extension on Chrome Store
>> scale any better?
> Justin's example might scale, depending on how app stores are managed.

I don't get it then. What did you mean by "it doesn't scale" with
respect to having the AppStore approve/ban SSL certificates associated
with apps? After all, the way apps are approved in the first place is by
signing them and approving the certificate. So how is this any
different? This is just an AppStore where the user does not need to
explicitly install an app. All other steps remains identical.

Gili