Re: Mandatory vs optional codecs

Obviously the best option would be to get everyone to agree on using only
the best codecs out there. But since the earlier debacle over the <video>
and <audio> tags set an unpleasant precedent in that regard, I think it's
reasonable to assume that the players in question will once again fail to
reach that sort of an agreement, whether it's to force everyone to use VP8,
or force everyone to use H.264, or (even less likely) force everyone to use
both.

Given that assumption, a decision to implement H.263 or some other
low-functionality and low-patent-risk codec would certainly be a second
best outcome.

BUT LET ME BE CLEAR ON THIS. (And yes, I'm about to shout. Sorry.) IT WOULD
BE ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE BETTER THAN THE OTHER ALTERNATIVE, OF COMPLETELY
INCOMPATIBLE IMPLEMENTATIONS. I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO IMPLEMENT A GATEWAY
EVERY TIME ONE OF MY CHROME USERS WANTS TO TALK TO IE.

Sorry for the shouting. I just wanted to make sure everyone on the
committee knew how a real user feels about this decision.

Ken Smith

--

Ken Smith
Cell: 425-443-2359