Re: Futures in WebRTC

On 04/06/2013 9:59 AM, Stefan Håkansson LK wrote:
> On 6/3/13 11:39 PM, Jan-Ivar Bruaroey wrote:
>> On 5/28/13 5:35 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>> I was asked to email a brief overview here in preparation of the call next week.
>>>
>>> == Introduction ==
>>>
>>> A future basically represents a value that may not yet have been
>>> computed. Since we lacked that concept thus far we've been emulating
>>> it with events (ondone/onerror) and callbacks (successCallback,
>>> failureCallback) in a somewhat mixed and adhoc fashion.
>>>
>>> Also, by making this a new type we can do interesting things with that
>>> type such as grouping. See http://dom.spec.whatwg.org/#futures for
>>> more information.
>> Hi everyone.
>>
>> Let me admit that I read about DOM Futures for the first time today at
>> https://github.com/slightlyoff/DOMFuture so it's still a bit of a
>> head-rush, but a welcome one, as I'd been scratching my head about how
>> our api could be made easier.
>>
>> I like it! - TL;DR: Success/failure callbacks encapsulated in
>> primary-return object let you write robust asynchronous code linearly.
>
> I like it too!
>
> But the fact that we have functionality out there, being used and
> experimented with a lot, makes things a bit more difficult I think.
>
> No one has given an indication when Futures will be supported, and I
> don't think we could change the APIs to use Futures and then tell users
> of our APIs to wait around until it is supported.
>
> I would expect us to eventually move to support Futures, but how and
> when is unclear to me (I guess we will discuss this further tomorrow).

     As an end-user, using DOM Futures was as simple as including the
Polyfill JS. Thing is, if WebRTC is built into the browser, I'm guessing
users would expect all dependencies (i.e. DOM Futures) to be built-in too.

     Seeing as the polyfill JS is rather small. What prevents you
vendors from folding this into the browser at the same time as WebRTC?

Gili