Re: Recap from WebRTC World

Dear gill,

Thanks for your multiple contributions to the discussions on the mailing
list. I think you, and others, have been heard and the reason behind some
of us changing their mind and/or re assessing the situation. Your
contributions have been great *and* could be greater.

I don't think we should segregate people because they know too much. What
you might want around the table for discussion are people knowledgeable of
your problem, who can represent you and voice your concerns when time
comes. Wether they are also knowledgeable in telco, martial arts, french
cooking (name your craft here) should be irrelevant. You might argue that
their being knowledgeable in the telco space makes handling SDP easier for
them, and I'm sure it does, (and you have no idea how much french cooking
actually helps relieving the frustrations of manipulating SDP), however it
does not mean they cannot evaluate the pain it is for someone with, say, a
more focussed skill set to handle it.

If you look at the WG, you will see 78 participants from 37 organizations.
You have start ups represented there like bistri (quite a few of them) and
ourselves. You also have representatives from large groups that involve a
lot of web developers. Cullen note about his organization having a lot of
web developers and his representing them, as well as google is spot on,
IMHO. You have Samsung, huawei and nokia, respectively #1, 3 and 5
smartphone sellers. They differenciate based on apps and webapps, if you re
curious enough to double check the background of their representative to
the WG, you might be surprised... You (we) are, I guess, well represented.

Now, if you wanted to get more involved and participate more actively in
the process, you are completely free to join the WG (maybe you already
have). The main load is the mailing list, to which you already actively
contribute. Then you only have to schedule 3 to 4 meetings a year
(remotely) and one TPAC. For a start up, the fee is only a couple of
thousands for a couple of year (to be confirmed)....
  Existence of a process means that there are delays. Wether those delays
are too long, or too short, or wether this is the right thing are a
question of perception and are debatable. A good solution is usually one
which lead as many people bitching one way than the other :-) Some will
complain it's creaming fast, some will say 2 month is unacceptable. We've
heard both here. Practically, if you think it should be done differently,
join the W3C and start move things from within. I'm convinced that it will
be more efficient than bringing the mailing list count to 664 with good
hope for reaching 700+ for july (yes, I am aware it was a joint effort with
several others). While it was certainly refreshing to see some bringing up
issues that resonate with our own experience (thanks for that), now that
our concerns have been documented in drafts (thanks to the draft writers),
heard, put in a document (thanks), acknowledged by chairs (thanks), and
have their place in the process, we feel it is time to move on, and reduce
the load on the mailing list. That does not mean giving up on your ideas
and points, that just means moving the effort to the W3C process.

Best regards,

alex.