Re: On babies and bathwater (was Re: [rtcweb] Summary of Application Developers' opinions of the current WebRTC API and SDP as a control surface)

Hi Gili,

in-line (and note that my co-chair is having vacation so this represents
my views and not the joint view of the chairs):

On 7/22/13 6:47 PM, cowwoc wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
>      To be honest, I am very frustrated. I have been trying very hard to
> find common ground with people on this list but it seems that there is
> too much bad blood (on the list in general) for us to find common ground.

I'm sorry to hear you are frustrated, but I think you will have to be a
bit patient, and also recognize that this is not a WG starting fresh.
This WG has an official API document that has been in the making for a
long time, while I interpret your proposals as something along the lines
of "let's start fresh, and do I propose to do it this way".

I think that the most common ground may very well be "let's finalize the
current work first, and then move on to a new version" or something
similar, but I am listening to the input on the list (and we should
probably have a teleconf in August as well to discuss further).

>      Everyone is out to get their way which results in flame-wars
> breaking out on the mailing list. I think people need to internalize
> that they will not get their way 100%. It's no coincidence that
> http://lcsd05.cs.tamu.edu/slides/keynote.pdf slide 11 says "Aim to
> displease everyone equally" and not the other way around :)

I have also noted the flame-wars on the list, and personally I don't
think it is very constructive.

>      I wish people would post something like this:
>
>      "I proposed <brief description> (see <link> for more detail). But
> in all honesty, it doesn't matter that much. I just want an API that:
>
>   * Abstracts away the network so: (high-level goal, "what" not "how")
>       o Applications don't need to keep reimplementing protocol-parsers.
>       o Applications don't break when the network protocol changes.
>   * I don't mind whether the high-level API is developed by W3C or the
>     general public. I just want it to be well-designed and easy to use."
>     (non-goal)
>
>      Non-goals are just as important as goals. People need to state what
> they are willing to give up in return for what they're asking for.
>
>      Final point: I think there is a lot of distrust between the
> community and the Working Group. I encourage the Chairs to add
> transparency by stating their intentions for 1.0.
>
>      I for one am afraid that an API will be forced on us without consensus.

The chairs are listening to the discussion, but please remember that
there has been long discussions in the past resulting in the current API
approach. Those discussions took place in public, so I don't think you
can really say it is forced on us without consensus.

The recent discussions are not unnoticed, but we need to balance this.
If we never stick to decisions, we will never finalize anything.

>      A few days ago Eric Rescorla wrote: "There have been a large number
> of posts from a relatively small number of people, but that doesn't make
> it consensus." I view that as part of the problem.

Compared to the number of people who have been involved in the last two
years of discussion leading to the current API document, I think Eric is
right.

At the same time, we see new input now from people who were not very
active a year ago, and there is also insights developed by those who
where active then.

>      How do we prove consensus on any topic in a way that will elicit an
> official response from the Chairs? The community needs guidance from the
> Chairs, otherwise we will continue to argue endlessly and this doesn't
> serve anyone's interests.

The chairs are listening to the discussion, and we will most likely call
for a teleconf sometime in August to discuss further.

But to re-iterate some stuff:

* Proposals, ideas, discussion etc. is never forbidden. That was my main
message below as there have indications on the list that chair's (and
other influential persons) have stopped people from speaking.

* The WG has come far with an API (and there are even implementations
out there, and in use). We're not starting out fresh from square one.

* I think the real question now is not whether there is a desire for an
alternatively designed API or not, but how to balance that with the
ongoing work on finalizing the current API. I think this is what we need
to flesh out.

Best regards,
Stefan