Re: On babies and bathwater (was Re: [rtcweb] Summary of Application Developers' opinions of the current WebRTC API and SDP as a control surface)

On 19/07/2013 3:06 PM, Adam Roach wrote:
> On 7/19/13 13:47, Peter Thatcher wrote:
>> I think this is the real issue at hand: You value legacy interop more
>> than a usable API.
>
> This. *This* is why I've told you that you're misunderstanding
> everything. Don't take offense, just go back and read more carefully.
> I never said anything that implied that legacy interop is more
> valuable than a usable API. It's a nice strawman for you to build up
> and tear down, but you are arguing with a fictional character who is
> not me when you do so.
>
> What I'm trying to point out is that these goals are not at odds with
> each other. Your statement above implies that you have taken it as
> given that we can't do both -- that there is a tradeoff here to be
> made. If you take that as a fundamental principle, then I can see how
> nothing I say makes any sense.
>
> But they're not mutually exclusive goals. Keep that in mind, and go
> back to re-read what I've written.

     I think what Adam is trying to say is:

     Adam, I would argue that we can improve the API incrementally
without throwing out all the lessons we've learned to date *but* this
means you have to be open to change. It's not okay to use this as a club
to silence calls for change, which frankly is what we've been hearing
for a while: "Sit tight while we finish 1.0... it's just around the
corner. Let's not discuss any changes until we get this out the door."

Gili