Re: On babies and bathwater (was Re: [rtcweb] Summary of Application Developers' opinions of the current WebRTC API and SDP as a control surface)

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 10:23:05 -0700
To: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Cc: IƱaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net>, Cullen Jennings <fluffy@iii.ca>, "Matthew Kaufman (SKYPE)" <matthew.kaufman@skype.net>, "<rtcweb@ietf.org>" <rtcweb@ietf.org>, "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>
On 19 July 2013 10:09, Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> wrote:
> Are you proposing that Firefox come up with its own multiplexing mechanism
> for RTP; Chrome its own; Opera, yet a third; IE, a fourth; and Safari, a
> fifth?  And then we just kind of pray that five proprietary solutions
> developed in a vacuum miraculously work together? I mean, yeah, if we can
> rely on miracle interop for independently-developed proprietary solutions, I
> guess that works.

I'm saying nothing of the sort.  We definitely need to define what
multiplexing looks like when it happens, but there's a vast gulf
between that and defining how to negotiate it.  Discussions on RTP
shims or SSRC mux did consume some time, but I believe them to be
done.  For quite a while now.

The negotiation part looks like it's nearing completion, but only
after a fairly significant amount of wrangling and pain.