RE: Moving forward with SDP control

From: Matthew Kaufman (SKYPE) <matthew.kaufman@skype.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 19:05:11 +0000
To: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>, "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>
Harald Alvestrand [mailto:harald@alvestrand.no]:

> That was the original rationale for exposing the SDP, actually; people with
> exotic needs could get satisfaction without complexifying the API interface,
> but in return, they had to do SDP munging.

But as you very well know, at the TPAC meeting in November I attempted to (but was not allowed to) present a whole deck of slides showing how incredibly underspecified the SDP "API" surface is and likely would continue to be (given where the SDP specifications come from and their purpose), and why there is in fact no way to know which SDP changes would or should be accepted by SetLocalDescription, never mind what would be accepted by the other browser at the far end, without trying it.

That's unacceptably underspecified, I'm afraid, and not the kind of API we should be expecting to see in a W3C document.

Matthew Kaufman