Re: Moving forward with SDP control

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 5:52 AM, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>wrote:

> That was the original rationale for exposing the SDP, actually; people
> with exotic needs could get satisfaction without complexifying the API
> interface, but in return, they had to do SDP munging.

I do not think that the interface of the application with outside world and
its support of exotic features is the issue. The issue are exotic and any
new features implemented and exposed by the browser. Right now, in the SIP
world, every time I deploy a new device I do the interop. Every time I
update the device firmware or desktop software version, I do the interop.
The model you propose would essentially mean that every time I deal with
new browser, I will need to do the interop. Every time the browser updates,
I will need to do the interop. Given the current browser update rates, this
means that all I would have time to do would be interop testing my
application and would have no time to develop any new features. Also, with
each new browser version which is currently in use, the number of interop
tests will group geometrically. I am not sure this is sustainable model
unless the spec itself can guarantee that SDP implementations are
interoperable.  There are two ways to achieve it: make it very restrictive
and be very careful about adding to it or do not put it into an API at all.

Roman Shpount