Re: The best API possible (Was: Teleco Integrators vs Web Developers vs Browser Implementers)

On 06/07/2013 2:47 AM, Martin Steinmann wrote:
> finishing the current API as 1.0 and then going down the path of a
> lower-level >API for 2.0.
>> Emil
> +1
> This is the post, in my view, that makes the most sense from the entire
> firestorm of messages.  Doing a standard requires a measured approach and
> there is no such thing as the 'Perfect API'; that is entirely subjective.
> However, finishing what we started has a lot of merit.  Likely most of you
> use Agile and the process of continuous improvement.  This would give all of
> us the opportunity to get going with something instead of waiting forever
> for the perfect solution that never comes.  P2P will be important but if
> WebRTC does not easily work with the existing world it will turn into a
> niche protocol before it even gets off the ground.  WebRTC is the
> opportunity to get some of the great user experience created by proprietary
> consumer solutions into the enterprise in a standards based way and without
> interop with standard SIP/XMPP this opportunity is squandered.  Emil
> articulated it very well:  The complexity remains and if the API gets really
> simple you have to deal with it elsewhere and I can tell you from experience
> that Web developers are way over their head doing it.
> --martin
> www.sipfoundry.org

     I agree with Iņaki here. I am in favor of incremental changes but
the current API over-promises controversial design decisions which means
we'll be stuck with them forever. This is not the way to go. To quote
Joshua Bloch: "When in doubt, leave it out".

     If you want to ship 1.0 then let's compile a list we can all agree
on and leave the rest out of the specification. Shipping more than that
would be forcing your opinion on everyone else.

Gili