Re: [SPAM] RE: VS: Teleco Integrators vs Web Developers vs Browser Implementers

On 6 Jul 2013 08:07, "Eric Rescorla" <ekr@rtfm.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 2:59 PM, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 05/07/2013 5:55 PM, Eric Rescorla wrote:

>>> No, it would not be easier. More importantly, it wouldn't be compatible
>>> with existing devices, wihich is an important requirement.
>>

>>     Let be honest. There are no existing devices that are compatible
with WebRTC, with or without SDP.

> On what basis do you say that? What feature do you believe is not
compatible with
> any existing devices?
>
>> At the very least, all these products needs to be modified to understand
WebRTC-specific key/value pairs.

> Even if this were true, there is a huge difference between requiring
modest SDP translation
> and requiring gatewaying of every packet.

We're only talking about gatewaying SDP and not the media transport itself.

We effectively have two signaling needs in WebRTC: signaling to get through
to the partner we are talking to, and signaling to determine what media
will be sent over srtp. We decided not to prescribe the first but we're
prescribing the second. But because existing SDP is so limited, we are
extending it and thus breaking compatibility with existing devices, which
was why we chose to prescribe it in the first place.

Should the SDP on the wire be limited to support what legacy devices
support?

Then we could add an independent API to tell the browser what data to put
into the srtp stream when it's talking to non-legacy devices. This would be
just an API that is used between the JS dev and the browser to determine
the capabilities of the device and manipulate what goes into the srtp
stream.

Just a thought...

Silvia.