Re: The best API possible (Was: Teleco Integrators vs Web Developers vs Browser Implementers)

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 15:33:08 -0700
To: Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org>
Cc: "piranna@gmail.com" <piranna@gmail.com>, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org>, Martin Steinmann <martin@ezuce.com>, tim panton <thp@westhawk.co.uk>, Yana Stamcheva <yana@jitsi.org>, Parthasarathi R <partha@parthasarathi.co.in>, Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>, IƱaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net>, Robin Raymond <robin@hookflash.com>, Roman Shpount <roman@telurix.com>, Adam Bergkvist <adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com>, Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>, "public-webrtc_w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>, Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
On 5 July 2013 15:25, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:
> On the contrary. It would mean that all the things SDP is currently taking
> care of would have to be understood and managed by the JS: key negotiation
> for SRTP, encoding ICE priorities, ICE foundations and options, RTP payload
> types, codec parameters, negotiating supported formats, renegotiating them
> ... All this will need to be handled by the JS.

Again, this isn't necessarily true either.  A good API can do most of
this stuff for you.  There is obviously a responsibility on the JS
application for carrying some of this information, but that's a long
way from having to deal with ICE foundations.

A really good API would do two things: make it easy to do the easy
things, and make it possible to do some really interesting things.  A
really good API can be both low- and high-level at the same time.

If you haven't read CU-RTC-Web, I recommend that you do.  It's not
really good, but I think that you'll find that it is possible to do
the easy things really easily, without compromising access to the
internal stuff.