Re: [ACTION-43] (sdp related objects and global namespace) - way forward

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:15:11 +0200
To: Adam Bergkvist <adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com>
Cc: Anant Narayanan <anant@mozilla.com>, "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>
Hi Adam,

Le jeudi 14 juin 2012 à 12:06 +0200, Adam Bergkvist a écrit :
> I got the task to drive action ACTION-43: Move SessionDescription and
> IceCandidate out of the global namespace.

My recommendation would be:
* to kill IceCandidate and replace it by a DOMString since we never use
it for anything else as far as I can tell;

* if we must keep SessionDescription (which I understand there was rough
consensus on, although I'm still not sure what for), we should make it a
[NoInterfaceObject] interface, without constructor; if we need to
construct the objects rather than just passing them around, we should
have a factory function on PeerConnection  (e.g.
pc.getSessionDescription) — but based on my recollection, there was
still doubts on what we would use these objects for

That being said, I'm still secretly hoping we can find a better design
for the API that can encapsulate all the ICE/SDP stuff into an optional
part of the object that only people that want to address complex or
legacy-compat use cases would have to deal with…

Dom