[ACTION-43] (sdp related objects and global namespace) - way forward

From: Adam Bergkvist <adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 12:06:26 +0200
To: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>, Anant Narayanan <anant@mozilla.com>
Hi

I got the task to drive action ACTION-43: Move SessionDescription and
IceCandidate out of the global namespace.

I'm not really sure how to resolve this. As I understood it, the concern
was that, e.g., that the name SessionDescription is to general to be in
the global namespace. There's also the argument that SessionDescription
never will be used outside the context of PeerConnection. However, we
have other stuff that is strictly PeerConnection related but lives in
the global namespace (e.g. events).

Ways forward:

1. Prefix the name with PeerConnection.
  * PeerConnectionSessionDescription
   - Still in the global namespace but a less general name.

2. Add, e.g., SessionDescription to the PeerConnection namespace.
  * PeerConnection.SessionDescription
   - Does any other web API do this?

Downside with the two above is a very long name and, unlike e.g.
PeerConnectionErrorCallback, the name will be used by developers to
construct objects.

3. Come up with a new shorter name that less general and keep the
objects in the global namespace.
  * PeerSessionDescription
  * PeerMediaDescription
   - SessionDescription doesn't mean that much to the average web
     developer so we could go with Media instead to make the usage
     clearer.

/Adam