Re: [ACTION-43] (sdp related objects and global namespace) - way forward

From: Adam Bergkvist <adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:08:20 +0200
To: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
CC: Anant Narayanan <anant@mozilla.com>, "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>
On 2012-06-14 14:15, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> Le jeudi 14 juin 2012 à 12:06 +0200, Adam Bergkvist a écrit :
>> I got the task to drive action ACTION-43: Move SessionDescription and
>> IceCandidate out of the global namespace.
>
> My recommendation would be:
> * to kill IceCandidate and replace it by a DOMString since we never use
> it for anything else as far as I can tell;
>
> * if we must keep SessionDescription (which I understand there was rough
> consensus on, although I'm still not sure what for), we should make it a
> [NoInterfaceObject] interface, without constructor; if we need to
> construct the objects rather than just passing them around, we should
> have a factory function on PeerConnection  (e.g.
> pc.getSessionDescription) — but based on my recollection, there was
> still doubts on what we would use these objects for

Perhaps we could settle with just one object. It would have a type
attribute that could be "candidate" as well as the current
SessionDescription types. I believe a requirement on the factory method
is to be able to take a string received from the network. Otherwise it
wouldn't be a direct replacement for the constructor (if that's what we
need).

> That being said, I'm still secretly hoping we can find a better design
> for the API that can encapsulate all the ICE/SDP stuff into an optional
> part of the object that only people that want to address complex or
> legacy-compat use cases would have to deal with…

That would be very nice indeed.

/Adam