Re: Non-browser interop

From: Adam Bergkvist <adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 12:15:28 +0200
To: Shaun Crampton <Shaun.Crampton@metaswitch.com>
On 10/12/2011 02:17 AM, Shaun Crampton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Iíve been experimenting with non-browser webRTC interop (trying to get a
> PeerConnection-using browser to talk to some other device via my server)
> using Ericsson's demo browser. The biggest hurdle Iíve hit so far is
> that there doesnít seem to be any way to turn off negotiation of the
> ďtextĒ channel, which occurs before negotiation of the audio/video
> channel that Iím expecting. I guess I can negotiate a black hole address
> for the text or similar but that feels like a hack.
>
> Is that text channel necessary? Is it safe to send it into a black hole,
> or does the PeerConnection use it for signalling or something?

It's safe to redirect it to a black hole.

> I can see that the channel might be useful for sending timely
> app-specific data along with the media but it feels wrong to negotiate
> it even if itís not needed. For my application, itíd be better if I
> could say upfront that I want to negotiate a PeerConnection with only
> the given list of streams.

If you create a PeerConnection object and do your addStream-calls in the
same main loop iteration you will get one signaling message with offers
for the data channel and the other media. You can simply remove the
lines related to the data channel and it will go away.

/Adam