Re: Mozilla/Cisco API Proposal

On 14 July 2011 15:19, cbran <cbran@cisco.com> wrote:

> I am not sure if this is a "use case" in the theoretical sense but... when I
> travel for work, I use FaceTime on my iPad to call back home.  I use the
> camera switching capabilities when calling my family and friends to share
> with them not only my face, but the location of where I am at while talking
> with with them.  Given that WebRTC capable browsers will very likely be run
> within mobile devices with multi-cameras, it seems that offering the
> capability would be highly desirable for end users and developers alike.

Yes, of course. I agree those are important, exciting features for
mobile user agents. However, as far as our API requirements go, I
believe the question is not whether a user can switch between cameras,
 but whether web content can have a share in that decision.

As Ian suggests, does a web page need to pass hints to a browser which
camera it expects a user to prefer? Must in-page controls be able to
switch the camera? Can that be left to the user-agent?

Personally, I think user experience can be improved when the api
offers all this data, but we have a lot to do already without
standardizing an extensible structure for such things at this stage of
our implementation experience.

 -r