Re: Mozilla/Cisco API Proposal

On 7/14/11 2:57 PM, "Ralph Giles" <giles@thaumas.net> wrote:

> On 14 July 2011 14:50, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>
>> In the initial versions of this API, I would recommend that this use case
>> be addressed by the user agents themselves: when the user OKs the use of
>> the camera, there could be a preferences panel that enables the user to
>> specify whether they want the stream optimised for music fidelity or low
>> bandwidth, or whatnot.
>
> Sounds reasonable.
>
>> I don't mind dropping [front/back camera selection], but it's worth bearing
>> in mind that this may be the one feature of WebRTC that's received the most
>> requests so far. :-)
>
> Heh. Do we have a use case for that? Seems very much in the same vein.
I am not sure if this is a "use case" in the theoretical sense but... when I
travel for work, I use FaceTime on my iPad to call back home.  I use the
camera switching capabilities when calling my family and friends to share
with them not only my face, but the location of where I am at while talking
with with them.  Given that WebRTC capable browsers will very likely be run
within mobile devices with multi-cameras, it seems that offering the
capability would be highly desirable for end users and developers alike.