Re: [rtcweb] Relation of Mozilla WebAPI announced today to RTCWEB/WebRTC work?

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Timothy B. Terriberry
<tterriberry@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Harald Alvestrand wrote:

>>> This is more along the lines of getting access to the APIs needed to
>>> instruct a mobile phone to initiate a phone call, rather than to host
>>> that call inside the browser. Presumably also with some way to detect
>>> that your on a device that supports that capability at all.
>>
>> The blog post sounds like a virtual clone of the W3C Device API charter.
>>
>> Is that your planned venue for standardizing these APIs?
>
> I'm not sure that's been worked out yet, but before I say too many incorrect
> things, let me CC Jonas so he can correct me.

I'm working on a more detailed blog post which mentions our
standardization strategy. The short story is that we absolutely want
all of these APIs to be standardized. Our plan is to bring the APIs to
W3C once we've experimented enough with them to feel good about them.
Which group this ends up in depends on the API.

>> I can't say I'm overly happy with the amount of imagination spent on the
>> name, but the effort seems to make sense!
>
> Well, I didn't name the thing, but keep in mind that initiating phone calls
> is only one small part of the total effort.

Indeed. I'm not a big fan of the name either. But the goal is indeed
to be much broader than just applications for phone and SMS.

/ Jonas