Re: [rtcweb] Relation of Mozilla WebAPI announced today to RTCWEB/WebRTC work?

From: Dan York <dyork@voxeo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 15:03:39 -0400
Cc: public-webrtc@w3.org, rtcweb@ietf.org
To: "Timothy B. Terriberry" <tterriberry@mozilla.com>
Tim,

On Aug 23, 2011, at 1:59 PM, Timothy B. Terriberry wrote:

>> Can anyone from Mozilla please comment on how the "WebAPI" announced
>> today with the goal to " provide a basic HTML5 phone experience within 3
>> to 6 months" relates to the work happening in RTCWEB/WebRTC?
>
> This is more along the lines of getting access to the APIs needed to instruct a mobile phone to initiate a phone call, rather than to host that call inside the browser. Presumably also with some way to detect that your on a device that supports that capability at all.

Thanks for the reply... and yes that makes sense.  I was thinking of "a basic HTML5 phone experience" as having a real-time "phone" conversation via HTML5, rather than putting pieces into HTML5 to have it work better on phone *devices*.

Thanks,
Dan

--
Dan York, CISSP, Director of Conversations
Voxeo Corporation   http://www.voxeo.com  dyork@voxeo.com

Join the Voxeo conversation:
Blogs: http://blogs.voxeo.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/voxeo  http://twitter.com/danyork