Re: Subject for Amsterdam Doc Sprint

I guess no one here likes to tell others what to do!

I've been bouncing some ideas back and forth with Dave Gash about the
readiness of WPD (he took over the remaining readiness marker assessments
when other volunteers bowed out this summer).  Here was his assessment:

> There are nearly as many Almost Ready pages as Ready pages. Following the
> review checklist, The Almost Ready category is a narrow one, and that's
> good; there are only a few things that can cause a page to be Almost Ready.
> By contrast, the In Progress category is pretty broad; there's a wider
> range of problems that can throw a page into that category. And, although
> the Not Ready category is quite narrow, there are lots of pages in it. (But
> to be fair, some of those are just move candidates, not pages that
> need work.)
>
> So, where to begin?
>
> It seems to me that promoting Almost Ready pages to Ready would be (a) the
> most visible and dramatic improvement to the overall doc set, (b) the
> simpest task technically, and (c) the easiest to spread out over many
> authors and/or new contributors -- say, at Doc Sprints.
>
> I found two things that consistently kept pages at Almost Ready: lack of
> an example or lack of a specification reference/standardization status. In
> most cases, those small problems could be fixed by multiple contributors at
> various levels of expertise with just a few lines of JavaScript or a quick
> search for the appropriate W3C specs.

So in the absence of other ideas, that could be a strategy -- start with
Almost Ready and turn them into Ready to Use.  You could still work within
the general topic areas you suggested, as a way of helping participants
divide up into different areas of subject expertise.

If you need help figuring out the search features to set up sortable
indexes of pages in a given readiness state, let me know.

AmeliaBR