Tutorial for MSE with example

From: Jay Munro <jaymunro@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 20:18:01 +0000
To: "public-webplatform@w3.org" <public-webplatform@w3.org>
I've posted a tutorial on using MSE and XHR to create a simple MPEG-DASH streaming player for HTML5 video.

The tutorial is http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/tutorials/MSEPrimer

And thanks to Renoir, the demo example itself is on  code.webplatform.org

http://code.webplatform.org/gist/9144919/

I still need to get reference content up into the libraries, but this is a start.

The example uses a single MP4 file, and downloads small segments using XHR to play. It only plays a single file for demonstration purposes. It shows basic MSE usage only.

DASH lets you also create separate files for segments, rather than parsing a single video file. Doing that, the demo could be expanded with network traffic detection to let you switch to higher or lower resolution content, or ad insertion. This is something on my TODO list for later.

Please review, comment, fix, and run with it :)

Jay Munro  Content Developer 2 Internet Explorer     85/2275    425-703-2242