Re: Table formatting at http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/svg

I spent some time this evening exploring the options for this issue.
 There's no easy solution, unfortunately. For now, we should make it a
little nicer with CSS.  I haven't got myself set up to edit the CSS on
github yet; if someone else is able to do that please volunteer!

The horrendous tables that currently exist come from
http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/Special:PrefixIndex
The content created by that page is then just plunked into the referring
page as-is.

That's a problem because the formatting of results from special search
pages are not controlled by any templates we can edit, it is part of the
Mediawiki core functionality.  It is apparently possible to create a custom
"special page" by writing the actual PHP code [1].  I might try that out
eventually, but it's not something I'll have time to do any time soon.  If
any PHP experts want to tackle it, you'd be welcome.

The approach I hoped would work was to use Semantic Mediawiki's search
function [2], which allows various result formats including custom
templates.  The problem with that is that you can only search by Semantic
Mediawiki properties or categories, not by page names/prefixes.  This issue
has been recognized in previous WebPlatform Docs attempts to create
category listing templates [3], and most of the page templates now
explicitly set "Page Name" and "Path" properties for each page so that the
values can be used in a query.  However, not all pages have these
properties set; if they don't, they won't show up in the search results.
 That excludes a lot of imported pages (including tutorials from MDN and
reference docs from MSDN) as well as many custom concept or category pages
that don't use page templates.

Eventually, all pages should have these properties set and inline queries
might work, but not now.  Even then, it won't allow fancier layouts like
nested hierarchies unless we explicitly set categories or semantic
properties for each level in the hierarchy.

The final option: use what we've got, but make it less ugly.  The following
CSS would turn the search result tables into a bulleted list:

table#mw-prefixindex-list-table{

   1. display: block;

}
table#mw-prefixindex-list-table td {

   1. display: list-item;
   2. list-style-position: inside;
   3. background: transparent;
   4. color: inherit;
   5. border: none;

}
table#mw-prefixindex-list-table tr {

   1. display: inline;

}

Output:
Index of all SVG topicssvg/attributes
<http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/svg/attributes>
svg/attributes/alignment-baseline
<http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/svg/attributes/alignment-baseline>
svg/attributes/baseline-shift
<http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/svg/attributes/baseline-shift>
svg/attributes/clip-rule
<http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/svg/attributes/clip-rule>
svg/attributes/color-interpolation-filters
<http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/svg/attributes/color-interpolation-filters>
svg/attributes/dominant-baseline
<http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/svg/attributes/dominant-baseline>
svg/attributes/enable-background
<http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/svg/attributes/enable-background>
svg/attributes/fill <http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/svg/attributes/fill>
(etc.)

I'm sure a CSS expert could even wrap the list into columns in browsers and
screen sizes that support it, but either way it's an improvement over the
current look.

Amelia

P.S. to renoirb: Don't blame me for the id-based CSS selectors; that's the
only unique identifier on the content spewed out by MediaWiki!

[1]: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Special_pages
[2]: http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Inline_queries
[3]:
http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Implementation_Patterns/Templates#Summaries.2C_Page_Title.2C_and_API_Name