From: Amelia Bellamy-Royds <amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com<mailto:amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, July 25, 2014 at 5:38 PM
To: WebPlatform Public List <public-webplatform@w3.org<mailto:public-webplatform@w3.org>>
Cc: Renoir Boulanger <renoir@w3.org<mailto:renoir@w3.org>>
Subject: More compact display for inherited properties and methods in DOM object pages

Feedback needed!

Working through the QA review of DOM pages, I was finding that the endless, near-identical tables of inherited properties/methods/events distracted from the main content of the page.  You have to scroll down quite a ways to reach examples and compatibility.

I've come up with a more compact template and have got some sample pages in the test wiki.  I'd appreciate feedback before rolling this out on the main wiki.

I've got three pages in the test wiki set up to use that template, with different amounts of content.  Please don't edit these pages using the forms, as it will over-write the custom template call.

  *   http://docs.webplatform.org/test/dom/HTMLTableCellElement

  *   http://docs.webplatform.org/test/dom/HTMLTableElement

  *   http://docs.webplatform.org/test/dom/HTMLElement

Compare with how the same pages currently look on the main wiki:

  *   http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/dom/HTMLTableCellElement

  *   http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/dom/HTMLTableElement

  *   http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/dom/HTMLElement

Ignore differences in which pages show up as links and the fact that most don't have summaries in the test wiki; the focus is on the layout.

  *   Is the compact display too compact?  In-between options, such as a multi-column bulleted list, are also possible.
  *   Does the organization make sense (grouping by methods/properties/events instead of grouping by the interface they are inherited from)?
  *   Should there be different number of results before the results lists gets truncated with "More.."?
  *   Is the "More..." link obvious enough, or does it need stronger formatting? (see the HTMLElement page)  The default table has this link in a table footer, but I don't think that can be done with the custom templates, since it is always added *after* the footer template.
  *   Any other concerns / suggestions / aspects you find confusing?

The new template, for those interested in such things, is at http://docs.webplatform.org/test/Template:API_Object_new

P.S.  Thanks to Renoir for rolling back his single-sign-on test so that I could use the test wiki.

Amelia BR