RE: CSS - External Examples

Hi All.

Julee mentions these below, but I want to be specific for the MSDN content.

For the topics that came from MSDN and/or which link to an MSDN sample, we (Microsoft) donated the content with the intent that the sample could be used outright in the Webplatform Docs pages. A few things:

·       If the page links to a live code example on http://samples.msdn.microsoft.com, as in the CSS behavior property [1], the code should be hosted on http://code.webplatform.org/, per the instructions in Code sample best practices [2] and the link changed.

·       Some of the code samples that were donated from MSDN were written using HTML4.01 best practices (such as all caps for element names), and therefore you should examine the samples to make sure they do not need updating.

·       Also, because of changes to the web platform, some samples may be broken. You should therefore test the sample (just run it) to make sure it works as expected.

·       When we converted the MSDN pages to MediaWiki content, we migrated the syntax blocks into the pages, and then the MediaWiki template created a syntax block. Any page that has the two syntax blocks is a flag that the page can use editing (and the syntax block after the compatibility tables is redundant).

·       Our template structure inserts related links based on the Topics and Topic clusters that are selected in editing. In addition, there may be a few or many related links that were ported over from MSDN and which point to MSDN. Those will appear in external links and manual links when you edit, and you can remove them.

Renoir mentioned that we have discussed creating a script to identify pages that still have these issues. Until then, we don’t have a systematic way of finding these issues. But the right people are working on it.

Hope this helps,

Eliot

[1] http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/css/properties/behavior

[2] http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Manual_Of_Style/Sample_best_practices