Blog Draft from Julee (was: WPW#4: Visual formatting model from CSS 2.1)

Hi, folks-

Julee wrote up this excellent blog draft, which I approved and published.

For Web Platform Wednesdays blog posts, I propose that a single approval
should be enough to publish the blog post.

http://blog.webplatform.org/2013/05/wpw4-visual-formatting/

[[
Web Platform Wednesdays, Week 4: Visual formatting
May 29 2013
by Julee
For Week Four of Web Platform Wednesday, we focus on the visual
formatting model properties: margins, padding, width, height, position,
float, clear, display, top, right, bottom, left, z-index, direction, and
unicode-bidi. Best practices are scattered all over the place for some
of these basic properties:

Remove defaults on different browsers by resetting margins to 0 – wait a
second… that’s a lot of rendering!
To increase accuracy of finger-based events, increase padding and margins.
When should you use px vs. percentages?
Folks need explanations and examples that are tried and true, that use
best practices, and that follow design principles, such as simplicity,
visibility, and reuse. A lot of thought can go into crafting one of
these CSS properties pages. Contributing to one of these properties is a
great way to deepen your own understanding of the basics. What are the
experts saying about using the property now? How are designers and
developers creating new uses for new browsers, devices, and workflows?

But first and foremost, the Web Platform Wednesday project is focusing
on the basics: ensure the syntax, descriptions, and examples are
accurate. You don’t need to be an expert to look at a page and make sure
the values match the spec, or that it provides basic facts or solid
examples. That’s why we’re here: to get the facts down and to provide
clear, usable information about these properties. Join us this week as
we form the foundations of this dynamic resource.
]]

Regards-
-Doug