Re: Proposed Doc Sprint in Los Angeles

On 5/7/13 12:26 AM, Wendy wrote:
> Good evening:
>
> I wanted to garner interest in a Doc Sprint in the Los Angeles area. I am new to Web Platform Docs, so I am also looking for someone to help facilitate the group and walk us through the basics of how to participate.

Hi Wendy! and Welcome!

Have you had a chance to create an account on the site, and take a look
at the Editor's Guide? I just learned from Doug that the account
confirmation mechanism was temporarily broken, so if you were unable to
confirm, please try again.

It would be great if you could participate  in a doc sprint before
taking on trying to organize one, so that you get a feel for what
they're like. Unfortunately, we don't have confirmed plans for any doc
sprints before October in Amsterdam. There are a few tentative plans
that may yet firm up:
http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Community/Community_Events

However, we are embarking on a series of online events we're calling
"Web Platform Wednesdays":
http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/Meta:web_platform_wednesday
Our first attempt at this will be tomorrow:
http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/Meta:web_platform_wednesday/2013-05-08
I know it's short notice, but if you have some time to pitch in, that
would be a great way to get your feet wet. We'll have folks on hand in
IRC to help guide the process, so you can ask any questions that you have.

Regarding running doc sprints, we have a few recommendations, but we
need to do more knowledge-capture:
http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Doc_Sprints
Peter Lubbers has talked about putting together a "Doc sprint in a box"
set of resources for doc sprint organizers, but I don't know how far
along that effort is. (PING: Peter?)

--
Janet Swisher <mailto:jREMOVEswisher@mozilla.com>
Mozilla Developer Network <https://developer.mozilla.org>