Re: Guide to implementing CSS property pages

Hi, Chris-

On 1/28/13 10:09 AM, Chris Mills wrote:
> Thanks for the comments guys!
>
> I have answered pretty much all of Mike's comments. I also agreed
> entirely with PhistucK's comments, and have implemented a page about
> CSS images at http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/concepts/css-images
> and referenced it from my CSS property guide
> (http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:CSS_property_guide). It makes a
> lot of sense to cover concepts and other info that applies to several
> properties, in separate pages.
>
> Just a few remaining questions relating to my guide, and the process
> by which we will carry out the CSS properties work
>
> * [CHRIS - HAVE WE GOT A FACILITY FOR MARKING UP WHO IS ASSIGNED TO
> EACH PROPERTY?]
>
> This is for Alex really - we ought to have a column in the
> spreadsheet called "Assigned to" or something similar, where we can
> mark which person is working on each property, so as not to run into
> conflicts. Can I add such a column to the "Manual data" spread, or
> would it be better to do it a different way?
>
> * [CHRIS - I AM REALLY NOT SURE WHERE TO GET THE BEST SUPPORT DATA
> FROM, ESPECIALLY WITH REGARDS TO OLDER SUPPORT DATA. HTML5 AND CSS3
> STUFF CAN BE GOTTEN FAIRLY WELL FROM CANIUSE.COM. BUT WHAT ABOUT
> STUFF THAT DOESN'T LIST, SUCH AS N9 AND BLACKBERRY BROWSER? NEED TO
> PROVIDE A BETTER GUIDE TO FINDING THIS DATA]
>
> Any tips from anyone on where to get reliable support data from, for
> older/more mature CSS stuff? caniuse.com is fairly good for most
> cutting edge HTML5/CSS3/etc stuff, but not older stuff.

They aren't in an idea format for extraction yet, but you can always
consult the CSS test suites:

http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/report/results.html

> * The interactive examples: how are we going to handle these? Dabblet
> won't be set up by the Berlin doc sprint,

There is a chance that Dabblet will be installed, but not fully
functional for inserting live examples into pages.

> and expecting people to
> muck about creating and hosting their own examples and embedding them
> in the page using IFrames will be a big fail. As an interim solution,
> I thought just attaching the examples to the relevant property page
> as a ZIP file would be ok, but I've tried it, and MW doesn't allow
> ZIP files to be attached. Suggestions?

I love the idea of having live inline examples, but we really aren't
there yet.

What we could do is have people include the code snippets as formatted
text, and work towards having live examples later.

Regards-
-Doug