Re: Suspending Q&A?

Have we really one had 1 question in 2013? Are there any stats? Maybe do we want to reach out to some of the top-scoring users (about a dozen or less when you exclude those on this thread ;-) )? Let them know and ask them to join this list and the IRC? That way, we're closing the channel down, not the community.

From: Alex Komoroske <komoroske@google.com<mailto:komoroske@google.com>>
Date: Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:43 PM
To: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org<mailto:schepers@w3.org>>
Cc: "public-webplatform@w3.org<mailto:public-webplatform@w3.org>" <public-webplatform@w3.org<mailto:public-webplatform@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: Suspending Q&A?

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org<mailto:schepers@w3.org>> wrote:
Hi, folks-

Garbee had mentioned this before, and I recently heard another suggestion about it.

It was my decision to introduce the Q&A/forum feature, and I'd hoped it would be a way to get feedback, but as Garbee pointed out, we arguably have too many ways to provide feedback, and not enough time to process them all.

It doesn't paint us in the best light to have a prominent feature that is going neglected while we concentrate on the documentation. And we do need to concentrate on the documentation.

We are on the verge of installing and focusing on our issue tracking software, which will replace our bugzilla usage, and will hopefully be better integrated into our whole system, including the wiki commenting extension.

I propose that we suspend the Q&A feature for now, until the site is more useful and we have a larger community to help drive it. I feel strongly that once we have compelling documentation, the Q&A feature will be more useful... we can point to our own documentation, or the dabblet, to answer questions.

Publicly, we would explain how we are focusing on getting the documentation right first, and that it is a temporary suspension, and it will be reopened when we exit Alpha.

Thoughts?

I'm all for turning it off. I don't think we should explicitly say it's temporary and promise to turn it back off later; rather, we should say noncommittally that we'll consider it again later.

Regards-
-Doug