Re: Improved Page Title Deployed

On 1 Feb 2013, at 23:37, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:

> Hey, folks-
>
> I just wanted to let you know that we finally deployed the "Topic Title" extension. We would have done this back in November, but there was a strange deployment issue with the extension that Denis fixed today. (Thanks, Denis!)
>
> This extension changes the page title to the format:
>
> "$pagename · $topic · WPD · WebPlatform.org"
>
> For example:
>
> "background-color · css · WPD · WebPlatform.org" [1]
>
> This serves two main purposes:
>
> 1) It makes it easier to differentiate between tabs
>
> 2) It improves the SEO by inserting "WPD" on each page, along with the topic area (like "CSS" or "Guides"). Once this is indexed well, people will be able to type "WPD background-color" and expect predictable results (e.g., WPD as a top hit).
>
> It still needs a couple tweaks (for example, if the pagename and topic are the same, it needs to collapse them), and I'm open to suggestions for improvements, but I hope that this helps with those 2 use cases.
>

> [1] http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/css/properties/

Great work Doug/Denis!

As an FYI - this URL needs to be http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/css/properties to get to the correct page - the version with the slash leads to a different page than without, which seems like a bug to me. But the version without the slash doesn't show the nice new <title> contents. In addition, when you do go to the version with the slash (i.e. http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/css/properties/), you get a leading dot, which probably shouldn't be there (. css . WPD . WebPlatform.org)

Good news though - when you go to an actual property [page, like http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/css/properties/background-image, the <title> contents seem to work perfectly.