Re: Quoting W3C Specs on WPD

On 11/27/12 10:46 AM, Chris Mills wrote:
> Sounds mostly pretty reasonable to me. A few queries:
>
> 1. "Short quotations from any source" - as in, any W3C spec, or talking more generally?
>
> 2. I think something specific needs to be added in to urge the reader to think carefully about what stuff from W3C specs they do quote. I can understand people wanting to quote short bits of explanation of examples to add to a discussion, but not liberally republishing large sections. As you say, these documents aren't really meant for web developers. Should we follow that up with a comment along the lines of "inappropriate or excessive quotations will be removed", or is that too aggressive?

That seems a bit aggressive. It's already a wiki where content may be
modified extensively (or removed) at any time.

I think something along these lines would be appropriate:

"As a practical matter, keep in mind that specifications are written to
meet the needs of browser (and other user agent) implementors, not the
needs of web developers. Therefore, quoting specs extensively may not be
useful to WPD readers. A paraphrase of the spec may be more relevant for
web developers than a direct quotation."

--
Janet Swisher <mailto:jREMOVEswisher@mozilla.com>
Mozilla Developer Network <https://developer.mozilla.org>