From: Stephane Boyera [mailto:boyera@w3.org]
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 12:51 AM
To: SULLIVAN, BRYAN L
Cc: team-webpayments-workshop-announcement@w3.org; public-webpaymentsigcharter@w3.org
Subject: Re: A first draft of the future Web Payments Interest group is available for comments

Hi Bryan,

thanks for your comment.
I agree with both of them, and this is inline with few other comments
related to web platform vs web technology. So i will try to convey this
concept

The  other points you are making are also very interesting but this is
already part of the future discussion on requirements document imho more
than the charter, what do you think?

Steph

Le 27/05/2014 16:19, SULLIVAN, BRYAN L a écrit :
> Stephane,
>
> I only have a couple of comments: - include B2B use cases the scope -
> clarify somewhere that "browser" is used to refer generically to web
> user-agent functionality that may be used in an actual web browser, a
> hybrid app, or an installed web app. The goal as noted below is that
> the web provides support for payments in all these environments, and
> not limited to a particular type of application or dependent upon its
> functionality (e.g. the browser "chrome").
>
> I believe that with that change, the key points that were made in our
> position paper, and that I expressed in the workshop, can be
> addressed through the charter as-is:
>
> - Almost as much as anything you can do on the web, payment is
> personal. W3C should ensure that users are able to make their own
> choices for relationships with providers of various web payment
> system components, and not be locked into a particular set of
> relationships just due to using a particular device, browser, or
> network. User choice, including the ability to choose who one trusts
> to represent them in payment UX, is essential.
>
> - UX needs to address the entire lifecycle of user engagement with
> payment services and managing a virtual wallet, which may vary
> depending upon the use case. The act of payment (or reception) of
> funds is just one aspect to be considered. Analysis of use cases
> across each lifecycle stage should be used to uncover requirements
> for web APIs.
>
> - To have the broadest applicability, web payment services need to be
> accessible to users of browsers, hybrid apps, and native web apps
> (e.g. installed apps executing in web-based devices or web runtimes).
> We should avoid the UX being dependent upon one type of web
> environment, e.g. while browsers may provide some UX features through
> their chrome and configuration, web payments should also work outside
> web browsers.
>
> - Standards should address how components in a web payment system can
> interact via APIs, but not mandate a particular UI, rather set out as
> needed the expectations on UI capabilities that can be implemented in
> different ways.
>
> - While transfer of funds is a natural first focus for web payment
> APIs, they should also be designed to consider transaction execution
> more generally, so that different things of value can be exchanged,
> e.g. bartered goods or service
>
> Thanks, Bryan Sullivan | Service Standards | AT&T
>
>> On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 7:41 AM, Stephane Boyera <boyera@w3.org>
>> wrote:
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> Following-up on my last email, I've just published a first draft
>>> of the future W3C Web Payments Interest Group (aka Web Payments
>>> Steering Group). The document is available at
>>> http://www.w3.org/2014/04/payments/webpayments_charter.html

>>> I've also just published short blog post to request feedback,
>>> see
>>> http://www.w3.org/community/webpaymentsigcharter/2014/05/15/first-draft-of-future-web-payments-interest-group-charter-published/

We need your help to move this forwards: