Re: Payments activity - any point to our time and effort?

On 11 March 2016 at 11:30, Adrian Hope-Bailie <adrian@hopebailie.com> wrote:

> Hi Web Payments and Credentials CG,
>
> This is my perspective on the last few weeks in the Web Payments WG and my
> request for those in the Web Payments CG to continue to participate. I'll
> try to address a few specific people in the thread and also give my
> over-arching perspective.
>
> This is my personal view of the world, not Ripple's and not the Web
> Payment WG's.
>
> @anders:
>
> Your efforts to promote a Web to native bridge are well-known and I
> realise you have had little success in getting traction. I believe the
> reason is that what you propose is a pandora's box of new security
> vulnerabilities.
>
> What is being proposed for the payments API is a very specific API that
> allows implementors to decide how the bridge from the API to the payment
> app will be exposed. Personally, I think the correct approach is for
> payment apps to be web apps so there would be no native app communication
> anyway.
>
> On the mobile platform this may not be an ideal UX so implementors are
> likely to allow a payment request to be passed to another mobile app and
> for that app to return a single response back to the browser app. I don't
> expect there to be a new inter-app channel created for duplex comms.
>
> i.e. What's being proposed is not as similar to your idea as you think.
>
> @tim/steven: I wouldn't consider the Payments CG's work as wasted effort.
> By the time we met in SF the two proposals had converged a great deal,
> mostly because the browser vendor proposal had adapted to consider feedback
> from the group. More later on the value of the CG's contributions
>
> @melvin: As you, Ian and I have discussed; there was a genuine error that
> resulted in your application to join the group being lost until Manu
> prompted us to respond. When we did, we came to an agreement (with you
> included) that there was no need for you to be an IE as you are able to
> participate in the WG lists and GitHub without being an IE and that was all
> you intended to do.

@adrian, since I wrote that we've discussed this further (amicably), I
suppose I could retract the comment, or expand upon it.  Closed doors
refers to a non public process.  My application was rejected by mutual
agreement, as I can participate to a great extend not being an IE.  It was
unclear whether a future application would be accepted or rejected.  You
said you would "welcome my participation" but when I questioned what
exactly that meant, I was told it was intended to be neutral.  I do think
it was a judgment call (tho I dont know the full details), I do think it
was the wrong call, but it's one I can live with.  I appreciate a mistake
was made with my application, I appreciate efforts were made to correct it,
and I am happy with the current situation.